Destination- Hilton Head Island

Destination- Hilton Head Island

Friday, January 28, 2011

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC AND SAVANNAH, GA

NAVIGATING FROM ATLANTA TO HILTON HEAD ISLAND
My mom, sister, and I flew to Atlanta and drove a rental car to Hilton Head Island on January 13, 2011. The drive, including a meal and stops along the way, takes about 5 ½ hours. Some people fly in to Atlanta and transfer to another flight to Hilton Head airport, but we didn’t want to risk losing our luggage in such a transfer. Besides that, the drive was scenic and a super time for catching up with mom and sis.
Traffic was very mild for a Thursday afternoon, and the speed limit was 70mph most of the way (on I-75, I-16, and I-95). Rest Areas were busy and well maintained, and adorned with palm trees as we neared the coast.
When we finally hit U.S. Hwy 278 and crossed onto the island, the scenery was extra pretty. U.S. 278 is a four-lane divided highway with a median filled with tall decorative grasses and exotic trees. It was dark when we arrived, and the plants served to shield my eyes from oncoming headlights- very cool!
We had to take Cross Island Parkway, which is a toll road that costs $1.25. If you have the option, take Wm. Hilton Pkwy to avoid the toll.
Once in town, we experienced the joy of roundabouts. They are actually quite slick and keeps traffic moving at a steady pace. You just need to know at which point you want to exit the roundabout, because it’s easy to get turned around literally!
Amazingly, no matter what time of day or if it was a weekday or weekend, we experienced no traffic congestion at all. Whoever the city planners are who devised their roads and highways, I commend them. Too bad it’s not like that everywhere in the U.S.

GOOD EATS

~ O’CHARLEY’S IN MACON, GEORGIA
About an hour outside of Atlanta is a city called Macon. We were fortunate to land upon a restaurant called O’Charley’s for lunch. The service was excellent—our server greeted us by saying “I’ll be making sure that you are treated great here”—and she was very helpful in determining our food and diet restriction needs. She even made a fresh pot of coffee for us! I ordered the fish and chips (fries) and it really had to be the best fish and fries I’ve experienced up to that moment.
If you get a chance to stop here on your travels, I definitely recommend O’Charley’s.

~ RED FISH RESTAURANT, HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC

Seating at Red Fish

While searching for a grocery store the first night, we drove past the Red Fish restaurant. It appeared to be fine dining with white linens on the tables, so we didn’t think our travel weary casual selves would fit well in such a place. However, after further investigation of the place, we discovered that it is a much more casual dining establishment and that jeans are ok. The next time we found ourselves in front of the Red Fish was the evening we couldn’t find the Fresh Market. Mom was going to make a fabulous salmon dinner, but since we couldn’t find Fresh Market, she treated her daughters to a magnificent four course meal at the Red Fish. The $27.99 price was a steal for a high end four-course experience. The menu offered several options, but here is what I chose:
1. Soup du Jour … Chef’s daily creation

Grilled Sea Bass at Red Fish

2. Seared Jumbo Sea Scallop… served with sautéed spinach, lobster macaroni & cheese and crispy prosciutto.

3. Grilled Sea Bass… finished with a wasabi cream sauce and soy glaze, served on a bed of Udon noodles with Wakame salad (ginger shreds, and edible seaweed flavored with toasted sesame).
4. “Key West Style” Key Lime Pie …topped with mango and raspberry coulis and fresh whipped cream.



EXPLORING SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

Old Savannah Trolley
~ Old Savannah Trolley Tour

This 90 minute tour covered much of Savannah’s beautiful historic district, including the lovely historic squares, River Street and City Market.  We rode on an open-air trolley with our guide narrating the highlights and facts about Georgia’s “First City!”
~ Moon River Brewery
After our 90 minute Trolley Tour of Savannah, we stopped at Moon River Brewery for a scrumptious burger. I really enjoyed their Gouda cheese escalloped potatoes.
Having seen the Ghost Hunters episode featuring this restaurant, we wondered if we might sense a spirit lurking. Mom and I stopped here a few years ago, and sensed some serious apparition type activity, but not this time. No flash of freezing cold energy, no napkins dropped to the floor. The only eerie experience for me was seeing my name carved into the wood door of the restroom, and the way I spell it too! I only say it was eerie, because when I saw it my immediate response was as if someone was calling my name.
"This Ghost Hunters episode brings the team to the historic town of Savannah, Georgia, to the Moon River Brewery. Built in 1821, this place is notorious for its angry ghosts attacking the staff and patrons of the bar." You won't regret watching the video (link below):
Moon River Ghost Hunters Episode


GROCERY SHOPPING WHILE ON HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC

~ Fresh Market
Fresh Market stores convey the atmosphere of an old world European market, all under one roof, where you can visit an array of departments: old-style butcher shop and fish market, bakery, produce and floral stands, and delicatessen. Help yourself to a sample of freshly brewed coffee while you stroll down the wide aisles of the store. The open air feel of this market presents a feast for the senses as colors and fragrant smells fill the atmosphere and classical music wafts through the air.


Inside Fresh Market

~ Publix
Founded in 1930, Publix Super Markets is the largest and fastest-growing employee-owned supermarket chain in the United States.
Having a full kitchen with all the essentials, we thought we’d save money buying groceries rather than eating out all the time. This is a great strategy, except take our advice and learn from our mistake- buy for only two days instead of the entire week all at once. Each one of us shopped for the foods we wanted for the next five days, and oops it was TOO MUCH food.
Also, try to wait until the next morning to shop. We hit the grocery store our first night after 16 hours of travel time. I had been awake for 36 hours at that point, and felt rather delirious while deciding what I would need. Apparently, I thought I needed enough food for some type of natural disaster!


LODGING ON HILTON HEAD ISLAND

Grande Ocean Resort- Lagoon View

I definitely recommend staying at one of the resorts on North or South Forest Beach Drive. These places are right on the ocean, and that’s the whole point of going to Hilton Head Island, right? We stayed at Grande Ocean Resort, which truly is a full service resort.

Grande Ocean Resort- Master Suite

Ours had two bedrooms (one a master suite complete with Jacuzzi tub), a full kitchen, laundry room, two bathrooms, living and dining rooms.

Grande Ocean Resort- Deck

We even had a big deck with sliding glass doors from the living room and the master bedroom. My sister and I purchased a patchouli candle and spent time unwinding out on the deck. Parking garages were attached to each building, and you take an elevator to your room.
There were nine pools, several of which were hot tub pools! The closest one to our condo room was enormous and surrounded by the courtyard lagoon and tropical foilage. The heat and the jets in the hot tub was heaven, especially after all the miles of travel.
If it had been warm enough, we would have spent time swimming in the ocean. As it was, we arrived with near Minnesota temperatures of 35 degrees! Thankfully, it did warm up and it was sunny for the rest of our time.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO TAKE ANYTHING FROM THE BEACH!

"Are these LIVE starfish?"

On the first warm morning, we decided to take a walk on the beach. While mom and sis were thoroughly engaged in discussion, I was like a kid in a candy store making numerous discoveries and fabulous finds. As expected, there were numerous shells littering the sandy shoreline. More interesting to me were the starfish lying limp in the sand. Being that I had never seen a fresh starfish, I couldn’t resist touching this sea creature- it was soft and fleshy much to my delight! My bedroom décor is a beach theme, and I immediately envisioned my treasure decorating a shelf, so I picked it up and carried it along. I never did catch up to mom and sis, as one discovery led to another- soon I had three limp starfish in my hand. At the end of our walk, I saw a sign that said “taking blah blah blah, and live STARFISH is not allowed.” Looking down at my starfish, I figured they couldn't possibly be alive, otherwise they would move or something. But being a person of integrity, I figured it would be best to ask someone about my starfish just in case. So off to the front desk I went, held out my hand and asked, “Are these dead and is it ok if I take them home?” The young man behind the desk laughed and said, “First of all, it is ILLEGAL to take ANYTHING from the beach.”
Oh.
Trotting past mom and sis, I told them that I broke the law and had to return my booty. And very gingerly, I laid those poor starfish back in the sand where I found them.
SPA DAY
On Sunday, we decided to get a massage over at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. Appointments are required at Spa Soleil, and they offer:  Body scrub, Body wrap, Facial treatments, Foot bath, Manicures/pedicures, Massages, Paraffin hand treatments, Steam room, and Waxing.
After checking in, we were given a tour of the relaxation room and the women’s locker room. The relaxation room was a large serene space, with a blue/green tile waterfall against one wall. There were chaise lounges with a lumbar pillow and blanket on the opposite wall. Soothing music and lighting completed the ambiance. Tables with tea, citrus water, fresh fruits and trail mix added to the spa feeling.
The lockers in the women’s locker room were spacious, and were supplied with a thick white robe and plastic slip-on footwear. A stack of towels nestled in one corner, with Eucyalyptus hand towels chilling in a small cooler. There were two types of saunas—a hot steam sauna and a dry sauna—and across from those were the showers. Each shower was stocked with large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body soap- not the cheap stuff either! The area near the toilets had vanities stocked with every grooming essential- hair dryer, combs, deodorant, lotion, shaving cream and disposable shavers, cotton balls and Q-tips.

My sister and I after our massage

The massage itself was wonderful! My massage therapist picked me up from the relaxation room and led me through a door to a small room with dim lighting, soft music, massage oils displayed on a counter, and of course the massage table. She told me that since I was getting their “Signature” massage, I could choose from seven different essential oil formulas. I can’t remember all of them…Earth, Wood, Fresh Linen, Ocean, Sun, and Orange-something….I chose Sun.
After she smoothed all of the aches and stiffness from my muscles, she returned me back to the relaxation room. I was feeling light-headed by that time, and helped myself to the citrus water, trail mix, and filled up on blackberries and raspberries.  Afterward, I sat in the hot steam sauna until past the ten minute limit, and hit the shower. I took my time getting ready, using all of the products offered to guests. By the time the Valet brought our car, I was a brand new woman!
If you can, try to have this experience too!



No comments:

Post a Comment